About Charges at CMHC
We have many free and unlimited services at the Counseling and Mental Health Center, though some of our services have a small charge:
Free CMHC Services:
- Individual Counseling appointment - $10
- Psychiatric appointment - $15
- No show or cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice for an individual counseling appointment, psychiatric appointment , or group counseling session- $25
Charges should never be a barrier to our services
Providing excellent counseling and mental health services for students is our priority, and payment should never be a barrier to our services. We do not expect payment at the time of service and students are never turned away for an inability to pay. We offer generous payment plans and the university even offers options to cover the cost for students who cannot afford the charge.
There are many options for payment:
- Pay after the appointment in person with cash, check, MasterCard, Visa or Discover at the UHS cashier’s office or online through What I Owe. The charge is called “Student Fee” on your What I Owe page so that others who might see this page don’t know that you visited CMHC. If you pay the same day, the fee will not show up on your What I Owe page. If you have questions, contact 512-475-7065.
What I Owe Page
- Make a payment plan. If paying our charges creates a hardship, our front office staff will work closely with you to make smaller payments over an extended period of time on a schedule that is tailored for your specific financial situation. If you are on a payment plan we will work with you to lift any bar on your account from these charges to ensure that you’re able to register for classes.
- If you’re unable to pay, you can apply for financial assistance to have your counseling/psychiatric sessions covered through the Student Emergency Services in the Office of the Dean of Students. This fund provides limited emergency financial support to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet essential expenses due to a temporary or unexpected hardship. Learn more and apply online.
Avoiding Charges on What I Owe Page
For individuals who prefer to avoid having charges on their What I Owe page, visit the University Health Services Cashier's Office on the 2nd floor of the SSB. This must be done on the same business day as your appointment in order to avoid the charge from appearing on your What I Owe page. UHS accepts, cash, check or credit card for payment.