Charges at CMHC
There are no charges for CMHC services* except for:
- $10 for each psychiatrist visit
- This $10 fee is often lower than the co-pay or co-insurance required by most insurance plans.
- Patients needing lab work are generally sent to the UHS Lab. Since certain lab tests conducted at the UHS Lab are considered in-house and fall outside Medicaid coverage, CMHC psychiatrists offer students the alternative of undergoing lab work at a nearby, off-campus lab (CPL Patient Service Center) that accepts Medicaid for all lab tests. CMHC psychiatrists can assist students with this process. See the lab webpage for additional information.
- $25 “no show/late cancellation” charge for counseling and psychiatric appointments and group counseling sessions not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance.
Good Faith Estimates:
The CMHC provides Good Faith Estimates for lab services provided by University Health Services that are ordered by CMHC psychiatrists for students who:
- Do not have insurance.
- Have insurance that is not accepted by University Health Services. This includes Medicaid (including CHIP), Medicare, MAP, ChampVA, and international insurance. If you are unsure if your insurance is accepted, please call the UHS/CMHC Billing and Insurance Office at 512- 475-8394.
- Have insurance, but do not want to use it and request to receive a Good Faith Estimate.
The GFE process will begin after the CMHC psychiatrist recommends labs and reviews your current insurance status. Learn more about your rights for protection against surprise billing and to receive a good faith estimate from our clinic.
Patient Right to Receive a Good Faith Estimate (PDF).
The ability to pay should never be a barrier to receiving CMHC services.
- Students are never turned away due to inability to pay.
- Students do not have to pay at the time of their session.
- Payment plans are possible (see Payment Options below).
- Students who are unable to pay can apply online for limited financial support from Student Emergency Services Emergency Fund.
Payment options include:
Pay via What I Owe. Charges are posted to the student’s What I Owe section within the MyCMHC patient portal where they can pay using MasterCard, Visa or Discover. For privacy, charges appear as “Student Fee” on What I Owe, so those to whom the student may have given eProxy privileges will not know about CMHC visits.
To avoid having charges posted to What I Owe, students must pay by 5 p.m. on the same day of their session by calling the CMHC/UHS Billing and Insurance Office at 512-475-8394. If you have questions, contact 512-475-7065.
What I Owe Page
Establish a payment plan. Make smaller payments over an extended time. Contact the CMHC/UHS Billing and Insurance Office at 512-475-8394. If notified by the student, CMHC will lift any registration financial bar generated by being on a payment plan.
*Low or no charges for CMHC services is made possible in part by the Longhorn Network in support of UT’s values for making mental health care as accessible as possible to our students.